Sunday, September 5, 2010

Brunch - Bacon and Eggs with pink home fries

When we got home at around noon today, my husband mentioned that he wished there were someplace close by we could go for brunch.  There aren't any restaurants up here on the mountain.  So I went to work.


I had pulled up some All Red potatoes the other day, and I couldn't wait to try them.  I scrubbed them, then cut them into cubes, leaving the pretty red skin on, and boiled them for 10 minutes.  I thought maybe the pinkish color of the flesh might fade in the boiling water, but it didn't.  I heated some oil and a little butter on medium high heat, then drained the potatoes and added them to the oil.  My husband usually makes the home fries, and one of his tips is to not stir too frequently - let the potatoes sit in the hot oil and brown. I checked a few potato cubes to make sure they were brown before I started to stir. While the potatoes were cooking, I started a couple of strips of bacon in a skillet. When the bacon was almost done, I slid it to the side of the skillet, and broke some eggs in the middle. I covered this loosely, so the eggs would cook on top.  I put some toast in the toaster, and put out some orange juice and homemade blueberry preserves, and voila.  A traditional brunch, in half an hour.  (Well, maybe pink homefries break with tradition a little bit.)


The potatoes and the eggs came from the farm, of course, and the blueberries for the jam. The bread, oil, butter were purchased, as were the pectin and sugar to make the jam.  The bacon was a gift. I asked my husband how much he thought it would cost to have a breakfast like this at a restaurant.  He thought about $8.00/person would cover it, if you could even have gotten organic potatoes and blueberries and free range eggs at a restaurant.  I think I spent about $2.00 for this $16.00 brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment