Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeño peppers
- 3/4 cup corn, cooked
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 10" cast iron skillet with olive oil.
Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne) in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine the honey, melted butter, egg, and buttermilk. Stir in the jalapeno, corn, and cheddar.
Pour the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and stir until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the skillet. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.