Sunday, July 25, 2021

Grammy's Potato Salad

 My mother-in-law, Gertrude (who her 20 grandchildren called Grammy), was famous for her potato salad. Everyone loved it at summer parties. And everyone else was afraid to make it. As my sister-in-law, Mary, said, "Some people have a knack for potato salad. Some people don't." 

Gertrude was not big on writing recipes down.  When I wanted to learn how she made something, I followed her around the kitchen with a pen and paper.

Put since my mother-in-law passed away last year, I've been trying to replicate this simple recipe. This is the recipe, written by Gertrude, and expanded slightly by me for clarity, although it still takes a little creativity to understand. (And she didn't mention the eggs, which were apparently obvious.)



Grammy's Potato Salad

5 pounds new potatoes

1/2 - 3/4 C onion, chopped

3-4 stalks celery, chopped

1/2 jar mayonnaise

salt and pepper

hard-cooked eggs, sliced


1. Boil the potatoes with skins on.

2. Cool to handle, peel and cut up

3. Place in a bowl and mix in onions, celery, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.

4. Decorate with sliced hard-cooked eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment